Saturday, January 17, 2009

Pearl Harbor

Today was a rainy, windy, day here on the island. All schools were closed and city offices as well. They were calling it a"Hawaiian Snow Day" I think that they just look for excuses here to have snow days because neither the wind nor rain was all that bad. We went to Pearl Harbor today and that was such an amazing, sobering experience. To be right on top of the wreckage of the U.S.S Arizona was unbelievable.



This is the exact spot that theU.S.S. Arizona was sitting at the morning that it was attacked by the Japanese.


This is part of the sunken ship that still sticks out of the ocean.




Some more wreckage under the water.






The Flag flies high and proud over the memorial.









Looking out at the memorial





A Naval ship nearby




The salvaged anchor from the ship

I'm so glad that we were able to visit Pearl Harbor and go out to the memorial. I have always heard about the attack but to actually be in the exact spot that it happened just makes it so much more real.


Tonight we just messed around a little.




View from Waikiki Beach


Surfer Dude




Oh No Look where Grandpas been



We have to get up super early in the morning to take a ferry over to Maui so we'll hope for less rain and wind and more sunshine tomorrow!



5 comments:

Erin said...

How exciting to be there. Rich has always wanted to see Pearl Harbor. Hope you are having a great time!

Michelle W. Nate said...

I have always wanted to go there. I bet it was such a neat place. I am waiting to see pics of you guys on a surf board. Go catch some waves! They look big enough.

Shara said...

It's so weird to see your pics of Hawaii. I just looked at my mom and dad's and I see some of the same things. Hope you are having fun!.

This Idaho Girl said...

I've been to PH 3 times and I never cease to be moved. Hope you visited one of the dozens of ABC stores on Waikiki. Isn't it like Vegas without the lights.

Jan McCarthy said...

Maui No Ka Oi! Rebecca says you guys look like TOURIST!